Monday, February 22, 2010

Gearing Up for Saturday's Workshop! ... Florence Oregon Photographer

I'm having fun making my final choices on which images to use for illustrations, etc., as I prepare for the first ever JAZ Workshop, to be held this coming Saturday! I'm SO looking forward to it. The general focus will be taking creative control of your camera... I thought I'd share a few images I'm grabbing from a dunes hike with the kids last week:

The following two images were both taken from the same spot (crouched down so low I was sure I was going to topple into the mud), with the same lighting, with the same settings... everything was the same. The only thing different between the two was where I focused. They were both taken with the aperture at 1.4, on my 50mm. All I did was change my focus point from the (dead) flower detail in the foreground to the grass in the middle of the water:



I love how simply focusing on the foreground flower transformed all those teensy light reflections on the water into a backdrop of giant "light bubbles" (officially known as "bokeh" or "specular highlights".)

The next two images were also taken with my 50mm, and I love how just slightly tilting the camera brought a greater sense of width and movement:




If you'd like to be added to the waiting list for the next JAZ Workshop, shoot me an e-mail: jamie.zanotti@gmail.com

To book a wedding or session, e-mail me at jamie.zanotti@gmail.com