Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The 6 Creative Elements .... Eugene Oregon Photographer



I see color. Color, color, color! Grab any handful of my images, and color will likely be the predominant element:










See what I mean? In Bryan Peterson's Book, Learning to See Creatively, he talks about the 6 creative elements... line, shape, texture, color, pattern, and form, and how we all tend to "see" one or two more than the others. I "see" color, and one of the ways I work to improve is by "seeing" the other elements. One of the assignments I gave out on the workshop hike was for everyone to capture at least one image that featured each element. (I ended up having to cheat and ask one of the attendees to point out a line... I especially struggle to see lines! Thanks, Jenny!)

So if you're a fellow photog, and want to expand your "vision", let me highly recommend Bryan Peterson's book! And while I've got you here, I'll share a few more examples of how I'm working to "see" more...

I have a much easier time capturing line when I'm using my wide angle 24mm 1.4, as I did here:


I love using shape as a "frame inside the frame", and need to do it more! I also need to look for shape more, altogether:


I was presented with a prime opportunity to look for texture when I did this winter session with my sis-in-law... She was wearing beautiful, neutral clothes and accessories, and there was no color to be found at the arboretum. Since I didn't have my fall-back of color, I was forced to take a 2nd look around, and it was then that all the texture started popping out to me:


Here's some pattern, in both the polka dots and brick:


And finally, here's a fun example of form:


Happy snapping, everyone!

To book a wedding or session, e-mail me at jamie.zanotti@gmail.com